Welcome to the Eastern Shoshone Human Resources Website!
The Shoshone Tribe endeavors to provide an environment at its facilities wherein Human dignity prevails and all employees and applications for employment receive equal consideration and treatment. No person is granted special privileges or consideration nor is emplyment or any benefits arising out of employment given or withheld because of race, creed, color, or national origin, or because of race or sex. The Shoshone Tribe is an Affirmative Action employer in the hiring of Veterans, Handicapped and Indian Preference.
The Wind River Indian Reservation was established for the Eastern Shoshone Indians in 1868. Camp Auger, a military post with troops was established at the present site of Lander on June 28, 1869. In 1870 the name was changed to Camp Brown and in 1871 the post was moved to the current site of Fort Washakie. The nickname was changed to honor The Shoshone chief in 1878 and continued to serve as a military post until its abandonment in 1909.
Reverend John Roberts came to the reservation in 1883 and started an Episcopal Mission near Fort Washakie. He later constructed a school for the Shoshone girls and remained to minister to the people for 60 years until his death in 1949.
Sacajawea, the wife of Charbonneau, who helped guide the Lewis and Clark Expedition to the Pacific in 1803-06, is believed to have returned to her people, the Shoshones, after many years of being away sometime in the 1850’s. She lived with the band where her son Baptiste and nephew Basil were sub-chiefs and came to the reservation with them in 1871. She was known as Porivo or Lost Woman. She died at nearly 100 years of age in 1884 and was buried in what is now called Sacajawea Cemetery near Fort Washakie.